With the release of the new version of WEBO Site SpeedUp
(applications for automatic acceleration of websites) - 1.3.0 - we were finally able to say with confidence: it is here. In the sense: the idea of automatic acceleration of sites is implemented.
Let me remind you that everything started a year and a half ago
, when the idea arose to put together all the methods to speed up the site, overcome the features of hosting multiple providers and browsers, wrap it all in a beautiful interface and make it as simple as possible. The last point turned out to be the most time-consuming in terms of implementation (it took us about half a year to realize, design and implement the final concept).
A bit of history
In 2009, after the appearance of the open source project Web Optimizer
(yes, the source code of the product is completely open until now), until December, the core of the product was actively formed, there were a lot of intermediate versions, the functionality changed right before our eyes. In June 2009, the product had the first sane interface
(its main ideas were then used in the Setup Wizard, and the author of the interface, fade
, now works with us on an ongoing basis).
The main difficulties with the product (except that it is generally complicated :) consisted in the need to configure it for each specific site (because there are millions of situations, and the product was not originally created for autonomous analysis of the site configuration and its smart acceleration). On the basis of the installation and configuration
guide, online documentation
was created (Wiki, in .pdf format takes a few dozen pages), and then the video configuration guide
But all this did not save us, and the fall of 2009 turned into a complete fiasco. We came to “ordinary” users (who, maybe, did not even know the term “client optimization”) and offered our product. And he was too difficult for them. But we did not stop and went further.
In two months, the interface was completely redesigned, and as early as December 2009, the product received a completely new interface and expanded customization functionality
, and its official release took place in February of this year
. And Web Optimizer (still available until version 0.6.7) was renamed to WEBO Site SpeedUp.
In addition, we continued internal integration with well-known platforms (because an external application, without access to the system's API, cannot effectively cache HTML pages on the server and more efficiently handle HTML output). In addition to the existing integrations with WordPress, Joomla !, Drupal and Bitrix at the end of 2009, CS-Cart, Magento, Netcat were added (UMI.CMS, MODx and a couple of other popular systems are in the near future). But this seemed to us a little.
The control shot was the implementation of the concept of “smart” site acceleration based on product functionality and analysis of the current server environment, the situation on the site in terms of performance and the client component - the Setup Wizard. Now acceleration has become available literally in 3 steps: install the product, go to the product page and run the Setup Wizard, enable the prepared configuration. Everything.
What lies under the beautiful pictures with funny people? First, we wrote out an algorithm for setting up the product
, which we use ourselves to speed up customer sites. This is simply the consistent application of those settings that are already in the product.
As a result, the Setup Wizard consists of three steps:
- Manual setting. Now this is a question about server caching and a list of actions that could not be performed during automatic configuration.
- Completion setting. Calculate the new site speed and the resulting acceleration. The resulting configuration can be saved and immediately enable WEBO Site SpeedUp.
Obviously, this approach works well only for sites that do not use different design / client logic in different sections. But in this case only manual adjustment (or adjustment) of the product is possible. In the future, we plan to make optimization even more “smart” in order to take into account such cases on our own, without additional questions to the user.
List of changes
Compared with version 1.2.0
- Added Setup Wizard for setting up site acceleration in automatic mode.
- Significantly improved server caching. Including caching engines (Memcached / APC / X-Cache) added, system level caching support for WordPress, Joomla !, CS-Cart, Magento added. Added SQL caching (WordPress / Joomla!).
- CDN support has been significantly improved : a file synchronization tool has been added, automatic synchronization has been added (except for networks with FTP access to download files) for RackSpaceCloud.
- WEBO Site SpeedUp is now available as an extension for NetCat and Magento .
- The size and structure of packages are revised , now there are fewer files, and the total size has not increased. This should help with updates / unattended installations when network delays prevent the product from fully loading.
- Added the ability to roll back the product version not only to the latest stable, but any of the available ones (in this mode, all versions are available starting from 1.2.0).
- Added support for a large number of ad units (for unobtrusive download), including: Unruly Media, GoViral Network, Exoclick, Carpediem, and the new OpenX format.
- Added support for the
base tag when parsing resources.
- Added assembly Joomla! + WEBO Site SpeedUp as a softaculous package .
- And a lot of other improvements in the kernel, compatibility with server environments, system plugins, interface and localization (Italian and Urdu are added).
As we have already announced, the product is now available
for home users absolutely free
. If you use it on a commercial site (that is, one that is aimed at making a profit), then you need to purchase a license (you can use a lightweight, 1,800 rubles a one-time). The full license now includes extended technical support, and we also offer product acceleration on a turnkey
basis (for those who need a guaranteed result). Naturally, we are working on the scheme "guaranteed acceleration with payment for the result." You can send a request here
Also available is a SaaS-version of the product, in which all advanced features are rated, and you can pay in any convenient schedule, while accelerating the site costs about 100-200 rubles per month.
We are always open to new suggestions and wishes on the work of the site accelerator, and judging by the daily letters from enthusiastic users, not in vain :)
Our website: www.webogroup.com
Product Section: www.webogroup.com/home/site-speedup
Download page: www.webogroup.com/home/download
Online documentation: code.google.com/p/web-optimizator/w/list
Or PDF: code.google.com/p/web-optimizator/downloads/detail?name=webo.site.speedup.userguide.com.pdf
Our blog (in English): blog.webogroup.com
And our twitter (in English): twitter.com/wboptimizer