In our work, we all somehow encounter people from whom we need to get something. No matter what - resources, money, response, coordination, information or something else. The situation is always the same - our next steps depend on this person. And whether this person works in your company or not, whether you have leverage over it or not, the principle does not change. This person is already the manager in terms of influencing you and your actions.
I will try to share my experience with such an assessment with you after my next mistake, when, despite obvious signs, I continued to spend my time and energy to achieve a result.
To begin with, I will offer the following terminology, which has proven itself very well in my experience:
- Manager (respectfully) - a person who knows how to make the right decisions.
- A manager (disrespectful) is a person who has to make decisions, but does not know how to do it.
As you can already guess, it is very pleasant to deal with managers,
and if your proposal may be of interest to anyone, adequately and expediently, you will quickly find a common language.
, everything is much worse. There can act hundreds of forces that interfere with work - from the megalomania, to the inferiority complex; from greed to unmotivated principled position. With them, you can try to resolve issues as quickly and creatively as possible or try to move to another (more adequate) contact person, preferably a manager.
I will try to list the signs by which a person can be quickly attributed to one of these types.Manager
- A real manager is really responsible for his words. If he promised something, he must do it. Well, or very trying to do it. If it does not work out, you yourself will see the objective reasons for the failure and are unlikely to make a complaint.
- The manager quickly and without hesitation connects to the process of communication of other employees, if necessary.
- The manager appreciates his and other people's time, so he is constructive.
- The manager is not only responsible for his words, but also requires the same from others, so communication with him is very easy to formalize.
- The manager plans his actions, so your joint plans are always as informative and transparent as possible.
- The manager is always clearly aware of the limits of his authority and clearly marks them before others, making the solution of the task more predictable.
- Option to respond to requests and uncertainty in response time. First call The matter has not yet reached the specifics, and the uncertainty is already arising, you have to spend more attention and time to get feedback.
- Creating uncertainty about the decision making process. As a rule, there are links to some managers who are either on a business trip, are sick, or are very busy. At the same time, their contacts are categorically not given, forming a black box, access to which only the “chosen” manager has.
- Reluctance to conduct documented communication. Any document immediately entails responsibility, so whenever possible, communication is either by telephone or in the most informal way.
- Breakdown of the arrangements. One of the most typical phenomena from the manager. If you have agreed on something, it still does not mean anything until they are completely formalized.
- Dropout from the process of communication. The person becomes very busy and completely unavailable.
- Delaying the process in one stage for a long time. At the same time, visible reasons can either be completely absent or demonstrated.
- Non-constructive communication. You can talk for a long time with the manager, and hang up the phone to think about what was at stake. To think and be surprised that there are simply no real results of the conversation.
Unfortunately, there are too few managers in our life and too many managers. In addition, in some cases we ourselves are not in the role in which we would like. Therefore, I urge you to start solving such problems from yourself first and you can cope with others ... There are many ways to overcome the barriers of Manager, but there are a lot of clever books on this subject and I am not sure that such an article will be very interesting and relevant.
I wish all dear haberdasters to face managers more often and bring all their undertakings to a successful conclusion.