If you are not confused by some of the initial difficulties
in using the Palm Pre
in our latitudes, and you still decide to buy it for yourself, you may face another problem (it concerns the purchase of a new device) - activation.
All Palm Pre must be activated before use (you need to create or enter data from your existing Palm Profile
). Without this action, the device will give you only the opportunity to make an emergency call (albeit on any number :).
It would seem, “and what is the problem here?”, And the problem is that initially the activation operation is possible only through a mobile network (GPRS / EDGE / 3G), i.e. via Wi-Fi this can not be done, because The device does not allow the menu, and it is not possible to turn on and configure Wi-Fi.
But most importantly, as you know, Palm Pre is not aware of the settings of the mobile Internet from Russian / Belarusian / Ukrainian / and many other operators. Yes, and replace the file with the settings (as was done in the previous article
) will not work, because Dev Mode
cannot be turned on either (the device does not respond to any actions, except filling in the profile fields). Therefore, you will not be able to advance beyond the activation screen.
There are two ways out of this situation:
- if you buy a device on ebay, then you can try to ask the seller to activate the phone before selling with the help of the “native” SIM card;
- but if you purchased a non-activated Palm Pre already here, and it cannot be activated, the process will be a little more difficult.
In the second case, in short, with your own hands, the procedure will be as follows:
- you need to download the file of the latest firmware (so at the same time we will update it on the phone to the very last);
- special software to modify it (turn off the launch of the First Use
application when downloading, which asks to activate the phone and does not allow to go further into the menu, and also include the default Dev Mode in the firmware);
- in recovery mode, sew this modified firmware into the phone.
Another nuance is the fact that the program for changing the firmware exists only under Linux and Mac OS, so you have to install / find them, or look for an already modified firmware, but it’s safer to fix it myself.
I put Ubuntu 10.04
on a virtual machine
and spent all the manipulations in it.
Further, in fact, the translation of the English-language instructions
from the creators of MetaDoctor
with my comments, with the help of which we will make changes to the firmware.
- open the Terminal;
- install git (if not):
sudo apt-get install git-core
- set MetaDoctor:
git clone git://git.webos-internals.org/tools/meta-doctor.git
- put the patch:
sudo apt-get install patch
- install, if not, Java 6 runtime (Applications> Ubuntu Software Center);
- Download and install the Palm Novacom driver;
- Go to the folder with the installed MetaDoctor:
- check if there is a folder with the name “downloads”. If not, create:
- Download the latest firmware version for Palm Pre from here (we need the version for O2 Germany, UK and Ireland / Movistar Spain operators, as of this writing, the latest version 1.4.5) and put it in the downloads folder:
- rename the downloaded file so that it contains the version number:
mv webosdoctorp100ueu-wr.jar webosdoctorp100ueu-wr-1.4.5.jar
- in the terminal we go to the folder with the metadocum
- open the file with the script responsible for making changes to the firmware
and uncomment the options we need and save. In this case, BYPASS_FIRST_USE_APP and ENABLE_DEVELOPER_MODE (lines 144, 145):
- then rebuild the firmware, the process will take a maximum of 10 minutes (it took me 5-6 minutes):
make DEVICE=pre all-wr
The updated firmware version will appear in the folder meta-doctor / build / webosdoctorp100ueu-wr-1.4.5 / webosdoctorp100ueu-wr-1.4.5.jar. Since we did everything on a virtual machine, it would be better to transfer the finished firmware file to Windows and continue the flashing there. If you did everything in “normal” Ubunt, then you can immediately run this .jar file.
We launch the updated webosdoctorp100ueu-wr-1.4.5.jar (Java is also needed for Windows), choose the language, agree to the terms.
It is necessary to turn off the phone, connect it to the PC, hold down the Volume Up key and simultaneously press the phone's power button. A USB connection icon will appear on the device’s screen, and the phone will enter recovery mode. Then follow the instructions on the PC screen (at the final stage, the Next button should be activated if the program recognizes your phone). Click Next and the device will start flashing (the images of the chip will appear on the screen).
After 10 minutes the phone will reboot and give you an empty desktop.
Now you can go to the Wi-Fi settings, for example, and having connected to the network, launch the First Use application (which will hang in the menu before the first launch), and calmly activate the phone. If you do not have Wi-Fi in the district, then you can try to set up a mobile Internet (either from here
or directly on the phone: Phone -> Preferences -> Manual Settings, however, it’s not a fact that the device will save them - also a known glitch ).PS
These manipulations only remove the activation window, but do not unlock locked devices.PS You make all changes to the firmware at your own risk.