Are you launching a web 2.0 project, social network or forum? Are you sure you can create an interesting web resource? Do you know how to attract an audience for the geometric growth of content and attendance? Then consider whether you can control everything your users publish ...
We want to share the experience of how total moderation can become not only an extra cost to support a startup, but also help in creating high-quality content using the example of the portal Team of CREW professionals
Why moderate content?
One of the main topics of Runet today is the topic of controlling the Internet. This is especially true for Web 2.0 projects - social networks, blog platforms, video services, etc. - where the bulk of content is created by the audience of a web resource. The more popular the resource, the more generated content, the more information that violates the current legislation:
- piracy, i.e. publishing copyrighted content;
- porn and other obscene materials;
- extremism and other illegal materials;
- spam in all forms;
- other illegal materials that violate the interests or rights of organizations or people.
Today is the moment when the amount of uncontrolled illegal information, the dynamics of its growth and the impact on the audience still attracted the attention of the state, right holders, organizations and ordinary people. But this is a big (or very short) topic of conversation. The essence of the question is that today it is necessary to plan how the owners and the administration of a startup can deal with counterfeit and unreliable information on their pages and whether moderation can be an additional advantage of the startup.
Ways to control user content
There are a few solutions to the issue of controlling user content:
1. Total postmoderation content systems.
2. Systems of total content pre-moderation.
3. Refusal from Web 2.0 or closure of a web resource. A recent example is the update of the Yandex.Answer service
4. Disclaimer for content.
Additional measures that are used today on popular resources:
1. Systems of punishments and rewards, restrictions of rights for users.
2. The use of visitors in the search for prohibited content.
3. Stop-lists and spam filters.
The most successful solutions are hybrid systems, where part of the content is moderated, the other is post-moderated. Thus, an optimal balance is achieved and the intensity and quality of the moderated information flow can be adjusted.
Moderation should be an advantage
Making decisions about launching the portal A team of CREW professionals
, we used the existing experience in developing several web portals and moderating popular forums, where all the techniques listed above were used. We chose the pre-moderation of company registration information and user resumes, without manual verification and approval by administrators, the data do not fall into the general database. Also manual post-moderation is subject to all changes in the questionnaires.
Also, the registration moderation system was logically continued by the fact that we decided that such efforts to spend only on a cursory one-time data check is not efficient, so by slightly complicating the registration process (data checking) we formed an idea and implemented:
1. Exhibition of companies - each company is checked for references in reliable sources and the legal form, its trademarks and abbreviations are entered. For example: Moscow State University, Moscow University and FGOU VPO. Thus, a system of aliases was introduced, when the same organization in the catalog has many names at once, each of which can be searched.
2. Resume library - manual moderation of all fields of the resume before publication, adding companies from work experience and education to the Exhibition. Thus from the resume you can get to the page of the company where the applicant worked or studied and vice versa (planned).
We have a broad perspective of using a database of a linking company (organization) and people, their time of work and study, the base of employees and students on the principle of social networks, but much more structured and streamlined for further work.
Some ideas for developing these capabilities:
- to offer companies to give on-line recommendations to employees,
- check the accuracy of the information specified in the summary,
- obtain objective evaluations of companies / employees,
- ... there are still many ideas, some of which are already being implemented ...
and the most important result is to take steps towards an open and competitive labor market.
The portal celebrated its first anniversary on July 1, 2010 and can already demonstrate the results of the work of the above scheme. Attendance is still small - about 4000 hosts per day, but everything is ahead ...
CREW professional teamwww.crewative.ru
PS A little later we plan to talk about some other technological, structural and organizational solutions that we applied in the development of the portal. We very much hope for a healthy criticism of our ideas, because we are ready for change.